If you are holding marketable securities with long-term capital gains, you may want to contribute shares of stock, rather than cash.
If you have owned the security for more than a year, the charitable deduction is the current market value of the security, and you avoid federal income tax on the long-term capital gain.
Gifts of appreciated securities can be arranged to transfer to Main Line School Night using the DTC (Depository Trust Company).
Please follow the steps below to donate your gift of appreciated stock:
- You, your broker, or your trust officer should contact Executive Director Wendy Greenfield (email@example.com or 610.687.0460) to alert us at least 24 hours prior to the transfer so MLSN can advise Bryn Mawr Trust to accept the delivery of your gift.
- Contact your investment advisor with the following information so that they can execute the electronic transfer of your appreciated stock to MLSN:
- DTC number: 0141
- MLSN’s account number: 7111-2722
- Phone number: 610.581.4761
- Contact names: Andrew Camerota or John Ulrich III
- Email Wendy Greenfield at firstname.lastname@example.org once completed, including the specifics of the securities being transferred (stock name, share quantity, and the date the request was made to your broker). Wendy will then contact Bryn Mawr Trust to confirm receipt.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Be the first to know about exciting happenings at MLSN. Sign up to receive email updates.
Search classes, pages, news, categories...